Well, it’s that time of year. Mostly the time that people reflect on all the things they have accomplished in the past 12 months. It’s a great time to update your friends at a distance what all has been going on. Nothing wrong with that…in fact, it’s a great way to realize all that you have gotten done and can feel good about it!
So, in the spirit of going rogue, I’d like to reflect on the Top 10 things I set out to do in 2017, but failed to accomplish, finish, or even start. Some big, some small, some matter, some don’t.
Top 10 Things I Meant To Do in 2017 But FAILED To Do
- I didn’t get back on a workout or running schedule. I had a few feeble attempts (very sad) but nothing stuck. (I think I need a new pair of running shoes and workout gear to get me motivated…agreed?)
- I never saw the movie that I swore I’d see – Same Kind of Different as Me – the book that changed me in an everlasting way. (Redbox here I come)
- Vowed to be a more present wife, mother, and friend. Sure I had my moments…but I am still not satisfied with my efforts on being “IN THE MOMENT” whatever that moment may be. Somebody once told me, “wherever you are, be there”…easier said than done. Family and friends deserve my undivided attention. I need to do a better job in making sure they know how important they are to me based on my actions, not my words or intentions only.
- Organize my closet and fix the broken shelf that could literally fall and come crashing down ANY MINUTE. The closet procrastination saga of the decade continues.
- Paint Ava’s room. I managed to get her a new bedspread and fun curtains but never finished her room completely. (I guess I should start with cleaning her room first, huh?)
- Send cards to people. I used to do this pretty religiously…but fell off the wagon and haven’t made it a priority to get back at it. I find doing so helps me focus more on others and less on myself. *NOTE TO SELF: Do more of that*
- Spend more time with my mother and cherish it. My mom lives about 2 hrs away. She is retired and very healthy. So…why is it that I don’t call very often or go see her? We both have busy lives but I vowed in 2017, to make an effort to do more with her. But this is yet another thing that I didn’t make good on. *NOTE TO SELF: If you don’t want to have any regrets, you best be making this a priority!*
- Clean up my computer files so that my desktop doesn’t look like an Icon Monster threw up on it. But nooooo…I literally have 312 icons (yes I counted for this blog post) on my desktop and about 95% of them are temp files, images, junk files, etc. I have GOT to clean them up. It’s the equivalent of having about 12 months of junk mail stacked on your kitchen counter! #Ridiculous #unorganized #onthetodolist #livingindenial
- Give up my post-it note obsession. AIN’T gonna happen, folks. Let the sea of multi-colored 3-inch squares continue to
clutter, mess-up, junk-up, decorate my desk :). (image is not my actual desk ;), I couldn’t risk destroying my reputation for keeping a clean desk…uh…NOT! see #8 b/c that goes for my virtual desktop too)
KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT!
The jury is still out on whether this is actually even possible with me. I think after you make a vow/resolution to do something 5+ years running and are unable to accomplish it, there may be a statute of limitations that says you can’t claim it anymore. True enough there is NOTHING sweeter than honey that flows from a person’s mouth. The one who seasons his/her words with grace and tact is to be imitated. While the bitter sting of vinegar or stale taste of shoe leather is anything but appealing. Nonetheless, why do I repeatedly choose the latter?
The good news is there is always next year. The great news is there are 3 more weeks left in THIS YEAR! Looks like I’ve got some catching up to do…
the whole truth & nothing but,